A Message From My ‘Friendly’ Neighborhood Racist?

About 8 months ago, my husband and I bought our first home. After many years of struggle, sacrifice, and a lot of luck, we were able to pull it off, and we are ecstatic!  We love our house and we love our quiet little suburban “middle class” neighborhood.  We love the walking trail down the street and the duck pond that it leads to.  We love the rosemary and jasmine that seem to grow everywhere.  The neighbors themselves are friendly, enough.  The area is somewhat diverse, although probably not as much as I’d like it to be.  However, over the years I have learned to be pretty comfortable no matter who’s around, or who’s not.  I guess I’ve gotten kind of used to being one of a small few, if not the only brown face in a lot of places. I’m just kind of ‘whatever’ about it.  As long as the situation is peaceful, I’m cool, no matter who shows up or who doesn’t.

Well, as peaceful as my new ‘hood’ may seem on the outside, I couldn’t help but detect an underlying sense of racial tension.  Sometimes it’s just a strange look, sometimes it’s a little bit more.  Is it me?  Am I being overly sensitive, waiting for the other proverbial shoe to drop and searching for racism out of my own sense of defensiveness or over-protectiveness?  After all, even though we are a bi-ethnic family, one of maybe two in our little neighborhood, the world’s changing, right?  Isn’t this the post-racial America that the news tells us was ushered in with the election of President Obama? We as a nation have evolved beyond racism, haven’t we?

Well, apparently we are so highly evolved that one of my neighbors thought that this witty little piece of political satire was important enough to post on the HOA community information board, about 15 feet away from my driveway.

“The skunk has replaced the Eagle as the new symbol of the American Presidency, It is half black, half white, and everything it does stinks!”

Now, I have read every single piece of paper that has been posted on that board for the past 8 months and never has there been anything remotely opinionated or politically charged posted on it.  It’s been strictly someone’s lost dog, someone’s found dog, updates from the HOA meetings, police bulletins, neighborhood heads-ups, and the like.  While today’s little break from the norm didn’t catch me completely off guard, it did surprise me a little and disappointed me a lot.

We’ve come so far, and yet, there is so far to go.   Smh today.

Comments

It’s things like this that make me cringe but at the same time laugh (at the ignorance demonstrated)……..although this is not a laughing matter.  I can not imagine someone having the nerve to actually post that on the community billboard.  Clearly this individual has deeper issues.    Sorry this happened.  I say kill them with kindness….. if you knew who they were.  Funny how they didn’t leave their name…….  At any rate, it’s up to us as moms and families to educate our children so this cycle of ignorance can be BROKEN!  Sadly, I think we will not see this in our lifetime, but i’m hoping my son will!
    Thanks for sharing.

It's things like this that make me cringe but at the same time laugh (at the ignorance demonstrated)……..although this is not a laughing matter.  I can not imagine someone having the nerve to actually post that on the community billboard.  Clearly this individual has deeper issues.    Sorry this happened.  I say kill them with kindness….. if you knew who they were.  Funny how they didn't leave their name…….  At any rate, it's up to us as moms and families to educate our children so this cycle of ignorance can be BROKEN!  Sadly, I think we will not see this in our lifetime, but i'm hoping my son will!
    Thanks for sharing.

3. jermysgirl says

Ugh.  I'm SMH right along with you.

I have to say, I much prefer an out and proud racist to an undercover racist…at least with the out and proud kind, I know who to keep away from.

4. Anonymous says

Unbelievable. Good for you for staying cool, cuz I woulda gone a bit nutty at the next HOA meeting.

This is awful. Had it been me, I would've taken it like a slug to the stomach. It's usually the subtleties you mentioned (a look, tone, choice of words) that I pick-up on. Rarely overt, but bubbling under the surface. I'm glad you kept your cool.

Ugggghhhh.  This makes me mad on so many levels first being that someone felt that it was alright to post that sign in a "family centered" community area.  Second, just because they aren't happy with how the country is ran today doesn't mean the rest of your neighbors aren't.  Third, what a coward not to post the sign in broad daylight so everyone in the neighborhood knows who the idiot is.  Nope to scared!!!  Seriously….I am so tired of people caring about skin color and the mixing of races.  People are people.  Sorry, I am just so mad and I am sad that you have had to go with this.  Don't let it take your joy and soon enough I am sure you'll find out who the coward is.  You probably already have a hunch.  Also, one other thing if we were to hang pro-democratic pro-mixing of the races stuff around guess who would make the loudest complaint?  The coward neighbor!