This week had been one of shock for many and no doubt, the verdict in the Casey Anthony trial has been splashed through every media outlet available. It did, of course, make our list…and here are some of the other notables from around the web that might have been drowned out this week.
News for July 8, 2011
- The jurors in the Casey Anthony trial returned a verdict of “Not guilty” this week and in addition, Anthony appeared for sentencing yesterday and is scheduled for release on July 17th.
- Heidi Durrow and Fanshen Cox of Mixed Chicks Chat were featured in The New York Times! The spotlight focused on multiracial talent and highlights the Mixed Roots Film & Literary Festival and a variety of other projects that focus on the multiracial experience in the U.S. Congrats ladies!!!
- Bill Clinton spoke out this week comparing the Republican GOP efforts to Jim Crow laws:
“There has never been in my lifetime, since we got rid of the poll tax and all the Jim Crow burdens on voting, the determined effort to limit the franchise that we see today…Why should we disenfranchise people forever once they’ve paid their price? Because most of them in Florida were African Americans and Hispanics who tended to vote for Democrats. That’s why.” Read more
- An organization called the Blood Foundation recently designed a Islam immersion program called “Muslim for a Month,” in which non-Muslims are given the opportunity to learn more about the religious practices and ideology of Islamic faith. The program aims to counter Islamophobia.
- It’s been nearly a year since the huge BP oil spill on the Gulf Coast and Asian American fishing communities are still struggling to make ends meet. Floyd Mori, national director of the JACL says that “The Asian American people of the Gulf Coast have had minimal relief from the BP oil spill.” Read more in the Pacific Citizen.
What do you think about this week’s Web411? Leave your ‘two cents’ in the comments.
Want to add a link to our community news? Send us an interesting link along with your short description and we might post it next week!
Latest posts by Chantilly Patiño (see all)
- VIDEO: Study Shows, Wealthy People Break the Law More Often - November 6, 2013
- The Hunted and the Hated: An Inside Look at the NYPD’s Stop and Frisk - September 29, 2013
- WATCH: Stop and Frisk – Keeshan says he’s been stopped over 100 times - September 29, 2013