Every Friday we’re putting together some of the top stories from around the web and sharing the links here so you won’t miss a thing. Here’s some of the top news from the last week.
News for July 29, 2011
- Bombs and shootings in Norway shook the world this week when an anti-Muslim terrorist decided to make a statement against European multiculturalism and Islam. Europe has been struggling in recent years with a growing anti-Muslim sentiment and this attacks comes as another indication that tensions are growing.
- A Georgia mom was nearly sent to prison for three years for Jaywalking after the death of her son by a hit-and-run driver. After a national public outcry, she was given a lighter sentence, but one must wonder, is this justice? Especially considering her situation, the driver’s intoxication and his prior hit-and-run record. Why is this mother being prosecuted in the first place? Read more at MyBrownBaby.com.
- New research from the 2010 Census data was released this week, showing that Latinos have been hit the hardest since the recession began. Just as frightening, it showed the extreme disparities between Whites and their Black & Latino peers. Read more findings from the continuing PEW studies.
- Jen, one of our contributors was featured on BlogHer! Congratulations Jen! Read her post on BlogHer and more thoughts from her personal blog.
- Some really great multicultural giveaways! MarocMama.com is giving away a FREE copy of her “Ramadan Nights” eCookbook! Yes, this means no shipping and you can get it in time for Ramadan! Author Medeia Sharif will give away an Autographed copy of her Young Adult Novel, “Bestest. Ramadan. Ever.“! Also, Best-Selling author, Heidi Durrow is giving away 20 copies of “The Girl Who Fell From the Sky“! Don’t miss out on this giveaway!
What do you think about this week’s Web411? Leave your ‘two cents’ in the comments.
Want to add a link to our community news? Send us an interesting link along with your short description and we might post it next week!