White Males & Gun Violence
“In less than 10 days, the number of women and children killed will exceed the number of people–children and women and Lanza himself–lost on Friday. The same culture that results in so many unplanned, domestic, gun-enabled murders–part of 15,000 single victim homicides a year–is the one that produces mass killers like Lanza.
Mother Jones was forced to update it’s Guide to Mass Shootings In America which, earlier in the year, documented the 62 cases of mass shootings involving guns in the U.S. since 1982. Of these, 11 have been in schools. Young, white men are overwhelmingly the perpetrators of mass shootings. Among major mass murderers during the last century, not one of the shooters was a woman. White boys and men are not biologically or genetically predisposed to be homicidal mass murders or domestic abusers. However, violence is part of how American masculinity is defined. And guns are part of that violence.
The ad for the gun that the Sandy Hook shooter used runs with a the tagline: “Consider Your Man Card Reissued.” Young white men have entitlements and privileges that, when combined with disappointment, illness, loss and soul-strippingly unhealthy and common glorification of violence, can lead to tragedy. The only place I heard this discussed this weekend was on MSNBC’s Up with Chris Hayes, when Salon’s David Sirota pointed out that white men are really the only group in America that is “not allowed to be profiled.” We need more white men like David Sirota and Chris Hayes, who disproportionately make up our media experts and political leaders, to step up and talk openly about exactly this. About how ideas about whiteness and maleness are not only our unquestioned norms, but are imbued with an innocence and authority that makes it almost impossible to critically talk about them in terms of a pattern of horrific events like Sandy Hook.” (msmagazine.com)
- MSNBC Guest: If CT Mass Shooter Was Not White, Public Debate Would Be ‘Much Uglier’ (mediaite.com)
- Is Conventional Manhood to Blame for Violence Against Women? (clutchmagonline.com)
- In looking for answers, we ignore the forest for the trees (jaerankim.wordpress.com)
- Is a Crisis in White Masculinity Leading to Horrific Gun Crimes Like the Sandy Hook Shootings?(alternet.org)
- Urban Lives Saved by Suburban Gun Mayhem (theroot.com)
Latest posts by Chantilly Patiño (see all)
- VIDEO: Study Shows, Wealthy People Break the Law More Often - November 6, 2013
- The Hunted and the Hated: An Inside Look at the NYPD’s Stop and Frisk - September 29, 2013
- WATCH: Stop and Frisk – Keeshan says he’s been stopped over 100 times - September 29, 2013